Accidentally deleted important WhatsApp messages on iPhone? Read on this article to find out how to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on iPhone.
“Hi, I need to recover some accidentally deleted WhatsApp messages from my iPhone 7. I haven’t done an iCloud backup as my iCloud is full and I don’t back up to iTunes. Are there any alternatives that work to recover my messages? Please help me on this issue. Thanks!”
WhatsApp is one of the world’s most popular messaging apps with more than 1 billion users in over 180 countries. It allows users to send text messages, voice calls, recorded voice messages, video calls, images, etc. and brings a lot of conveniences to people’s daily communication. However, WhatsApp doesn’t store chat histories on its servers, which can cause serious problems. For example, you may delete important WhatsApp messages by accident. When that happens, how do you get back deleted messages on WhatsApp? Fear not. This article will introduce 4 methods to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on iPhone. These solutions are workable even you are using the latest iPhone XS (Max) or iPhone XR running iOS 12/12.3.
Method 1: Recover Deleted WhatsApp Messages Directly from iPhone
Meliwe iPhone Data Recovery allows you to recover deleted WhatsApp messages straight from iPhone without backup. Also, it can help you restore WhatsApp chat history from iTunes or iCloud backup if you have one. You’re able to preview WhatsApp chats before recovery and selectively recover the conversations you need only. Besides WhatsApp data, you can easily recover deleted contacts, text messages, photos, videos, Viber, WeChat, Kik, Line, notes, voice memos, Safari history, and more data on iPhone. The program works on iPhone XS/XS Max/XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8/7/6s/6 Plus, iPad Pro running iOS 12/11.
Note: Please stop using your iPhone once you mistakenly deleted WhatsApp messages. Any operation on the device will generate new data, which may overwrite the deleted WhatsApp messages and make them unrecoverable.
How to Recover Deleted WhatsApp Messages on iPhone without Backup:
- Download and install the WhatsApp Recovery for iPhone on your computer. Launch it and choose to “Recover from iOS Device”.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer using a USB cable and wait the software recognize your device. Once it is detected, click “Next” to proceed.
- Choose “WhatsApp” and any other data types that you want to recover, then click “Scan” to begin the scanning process.
- Once the scanning is complete, you can preview the WhatsApp chats in details. Then check the messages you want and click “Recover”.
Method 2: Restore Deleted Messages from WhatsApp iCloud Backup
Though WhatsApp doesn’t save your data on its servers, it provides you an option to back up your chat history to iCloud. Simply go to WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chats Backup and tap on “Back Up Now” to make a backup of your messages and attachments to iCloud. Also, you’re allowed to enable automatic or scheduled backups. Whenever you suffer from WhatsApp data loss, you can restore the backup to your iPhone with ease.
How to Restore Deleted Messages from WhatsApp iCloud Backup:
- First open WhatsApp on your iPhone and go to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup to make sure that you have backed up WhatsApp messages in iCloud.
- Once you are sure that there is a backup available, delete WhatsApp from your iPhone and reinstall it from the App Store.
- Verify your phone number that you use for the WhatsApp account and then follow the on-screen prompts to restore your WhatsApp chat history.
- Tap on “Restore Chat History” and you will get back you deleted WhatsApp messages once the restore process is finished.
Method 3: Retrieve Deleted WhatsApp Chats from iTunes Backup File
If you have previously backed up your iPhone using iTunes, you are able to retrieve deleted WhatsApp chats by restoring your iPhone from backup.
Here’s How to Retrieve Deleted WhatsApp Chats Using iTunes Backup:
- Connect iPhone to your computer on which you have backed up and launch iTunes.
- Click on the device icon and hit the “Restore Backup…” button.
- Select the backup file contains the WhatsApp messages you want and hit the “Restore” button again to begin the recovery process.
Method 4: Retrieve Deleted WhatsApp Chats from iCloud Backup File
If you have activated iCloud backup in your iPhone, the last method is restoring iPhone from iCloud backup with the use of Set Up Assistant.
Here’s How to Retrieve Deleted WhatsApp Chats using iCloud Backup:
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Reset and choose to “Erase All Content and Settings”.
- Follow the set-up until you reach the “Apps & Data” screen. Then select “Restore from iCloud Backup”.
- Sign into iCloud with your Apple ID and choose a backup, then keep the device connected to Wi-Fi until the restore process is complete.
The Final Thought
Here are four different methods using which you can recover deleted WhatsApp messages on iPhone. Please note the last 2 methods will lead to the loss of new data that you haven’t back up. If you don’t wan to lose any new data, we suggest you use Meliwe iPhone Data Recovery to restore only WhatsApp Messages from iTunes or iCloud backup. Also, we recommend you create regular backups of your iPhone using either iTunes or iCloud. Another option is to use a third-party tool – Meliwe iOS Data Backup & Restore. Whit this software, you can selectively back up data on iPhone and restore data from backup without data loss on target device.